I grew up in Melrose MA a suburban town North of Boston, graduated from the Melrose High School, attended the University of Oregon, in Eugene OR, and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in architecture. I worked in an architectural office specializing in traditional residential architecture during each summer break and the remainder of the year following graduation. During my time at university I was also an active member of the Chi Psi Fraternity.
The economy crashed the year I graduated university so I went to London England to work abroad, I found employment with Derek Stow & Partners working on large medical projects including operating theaters and hospital master planning. Derek was a good friend and mentor, and will be missed, rest in peace. Following my time in London I spent a couple months in Glasgow Scotland with some good friends from home.
When I returned to the Boston area the residential firm I had worked for had gone under but the work that I had done with Derek in London garnered me multiple job offers. I selected a job with Payette Associates to work on university laboratory facilities under the oversight of Dave Rowan and Jim Collins Jr., who I was with for seven years, and during which time I achieved my Massachusetts architectural license. I did a short two year stint with Einhorn Yaffee Prescott continuing to work on university science facilities but left to follow my calling in residential architecture. My time with Weston Hewitson Architects was short lived and I landed at Gund Partnership, where I remained for seven years, working on a broad range of project types including university, corporate, theatrical, sport, and residential projects. Following my time at Gund Partnership I worked at Integrated Design Group, for two years, focusing on mission critical data centers, IDG is a fully integrated A&E firm and this was my first opportunity to collaborate with engineers on a daily basis as opposed to in the role of consultants. Another recession and a short stint with ArchiTerra and I arrived at Building Envelope Technologies, who I was most recently with for nine years. Working with Lance Robson has provided what amounts to a master’s education in building envelope design and technology, his knowledge, intuition, and perspective on the technical aspects of architecture and construction I believe are second to none. Lance is and will always be a close friend. Leaving BET was definitely bitter sweet but allowed me to open my own firm, April 2018, and refocus my energy on that which is closest to my core.
• 25 years of experience as a senior architect and project manager working with educational, institutional, corporate, and private clients.
• for the past 9 years I have been working as a building envelope consultant, consulting to owners, architects, contractors, developers, facilities groups, etc. focusing on facility assessment, building envelope design and review, and failure analysis.
• extensive experience with the design and documentation process, professional practice, and standards.
• exemplary knowledge of detailing, building codes, and construction techniques.
• aptitude in working with client groups to develop and evaluate program requirements, goals, expectations, and incorporating facility culture in design solutions.
• experienced with AIA contract documents, and proposals.
• knowledgeable of products, materials, construction techniques, industry practices, and their application.
• excellent interpersonal, verbal, written, and graphic communication skills.
• exceptional organizational skills encompassing scheduling, CPM, quality control, training, and team management.
• experienced in researching, developing and implementing LEED strategies including life cycle analysis, payback, and product selection.
• extensive experience working with project teams and consultants to develop design solutions that are aesthetically appropriate, and cost effective.
Building Envelope Technologies South Easton, MA 2009 – 2018
ArchiTerra Boston, MA 2009
Integrated Design Group Boston, MA 2007 – 2008
Gund Partnership Cambridge, MA 2000 – 2007
Weston Hewitson Architects Hingham, MA 2000
Einhorn Yaffee Prescott Boston, MA 1998 – 2000
Payette Associates Boston, MA 1991 – 1998
Derek Stow & Partners London, England 1990
Claude Miquelle Associates Wakefield, MA 1985 – 1989
Bachelor of Architecture
University of Oregon 1990
MA registration 1993 first exam sitting
American Institute of Architects (AIA) 1993
Boston Society of Architects (BSA) 1993
National Council of Architectural Registration Boards 1991
International Code Council (ICC) 2018
Milton Conservation Commissioner 2008 – 2017
Sustainable Milton Board Member 2010 – 2017
St. Michael’s Property Committee 2005 – 2014
Chi Psi fraternity 1993